Sunday, August 31, 2014

20 miler

So, I went out to run yesterday trying to do 20 miles, but I just didn't feel right. I was super tired after a few miles. My hamstring felt tight uphill which was unusual. I think it must be from Jillian - no more trouble zones workout that I did on Friday. I usually did this workout on my cross training day but haven't done it in at least a month. I wasn't smart to be doing that workout a day before my long run.

After 5 miles, I was ready to call it quit. I was about 5-6 miles from home and I wasn't looking to be running back home. I saw a few walkers on the trail, so I asked to borrow the cellphone to call my hubby but they didn't have their cellphone with them. Luckily, this gentleman on a bench had his cellphone and let me borrow it to call Brian to come pick me up.


Last night, I made sure to go to bed early. I woke up around 5 am to eat a slice of bread with nutella. I woke up again at 5:30 to do this runner's knee stretches following by this warm-up routine which I have been doing for a few months.




Then I was out the door at around 6:10. The weather was cloudy, 72F, with about 98% humidity. I definitely felt it after a mile. I was sweating but at least there was some breeze to help cool me down a bit.

I planned to do 20 miles progression run. My plan was to start at 10 minute-pace and then ran 10 seconds faster every two miles for the first 6 miles, then 10 seconds faster every three miles, mile 18 at 8:50, and mile 19 as fast as I could, then recovery jog the last mile.

The first 6 miles felt crappy. I felt weak and didn't have much energy. I took Gu gel at mile 7 and by mile 9, I felt much better. Mile 10-19 moving pace came out at 9:17, 8:48, 9:16, 9:04, 9:02, 8:57, 9:04, 9:04, 9:03, 8:48. I felt tired the last 4-5 miles. I tried to look for somebody on the trail whom I could tag a long. I think it helps mentally to have somebody running with you in those tough miles. The last mile, I was pretty much huffing and puffing the whole way. But, I was happy that I pushed through. The last mile I just took it easy with walk/jog home.

After a few minutes of stretches and a bottle of chocolate milk, I took the ice bath. My calves felt much better after a bath. Then I did the ITB rehab routine and the Core H routine like I usually do on hard run days.

 


There are two more 20 miler runs on my training plan before the MCM. I just hope that I will be able to run sub-4 marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment